The following article appeared in local newspapers in January, 2002:
Being one of the smallest towns in the Monadnock Region (population: 364) is not Sharon's only claim to fame. The town's one-room Brick Schoolhouse, in
constant use since it was built in 1832, was recently awarded listing on the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places. The State Register was established approximately a year ago and the Sharon Brick
Schoolhouse is currently one of only six places on the statewide list.
"The Brick Schoolhouse in Sharon is a perfect example of the type of property we are hoping to list on the new State Register of Historic Places," says
Elizabeth Muzzey, State Survey Coordinator for the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. "It has been used and appreciated for almost 170 years and that obviously means a great
deal to the town's residents. Sharon is fortunate to have such a well-preserved and intact historical resource."
Today, the Brick Schoolhouse is used regularly for weekly town clerk's hours and as a
meeting place for the Sharon Selectmen, Planning Board and Conservation Commission. The structure has served various public town functions including that of town meeting hall, polling
booth and repository of town records. It marks the de facto center of Sharon and historians have, in fact, referred to this section of town as "Sharon City."
Still in its original location, the one-story brick building measures just 26 x 30 feet. As was
typical of other small schoolhouses of the time, the school was sited on a small knoll with its door in the gable end and was situated to overlook what was, even in the 1830s, the main road
in Sharon (currently Route 123). It was used as a public school for nearly nine decades, from 1833 to 1920. During that time, the student population fluctuated from a high of around 40
students to a low of around 10 students. Intermittently in the 1800s, the Schoolhouse was also used for Baptist and Congregational church services. In 1920, the population of Sharon fell to
below 50 and the townspeople decided to send their children to Peterborough for public education because it was too costly to educate the dwindling number of students in town.
The exterior appearance of the Brick Schoolhouse has changed little in the nearly 170 years
since it was built. Minor alterations to update its systems (heat and electricity) and to add other modern conveniences (larger windows, a flag pole) have not changed the original design
of the building. Externally, the brickwork is in good condition and internally, the original pine floors and wide-pine wainscoting remain along with five rows of pine and wrought-iron desks with chairs.
Other one-room brick schoolhouses in the area are located in Peterborough, New Ipswich, and Hancock.
The New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places application was completed by Sharon
resident and writer Tina Rapp, who volunteered her time. She was assisted by members of the Sharon Conservation Commission. Extensive research for the application was
accomplished by ConVal High School student Taylor Shipman of Hancock, who earned ½ credit for completion of the work as a Civic Action Project during the spring 2001 semester.
Currently a senior with a special interest in history, Shipman enjoyed the process of working hands-on with primary source material to learn more about the history of the schoolhouse and
the town. "Much of world history is reflected in local history," says Shipman. "And this was a really worthwhile project that supplemented my work in the classroom."
Members of the Sharon Conservation Commission are hopeful that the Brick Schoolhouse will qualify for the National Register of Historic Places, and an application is in process.